NOTHING LIKE GOING INTO THE DERBY ON THE BACK OF A GOOD
RUN ... !
... our last two outings on
December 4th were both against Man Utd!
we drew 1-1 at
Goodison in 2016
- with Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s 42nd minute opener
being dramatically cancelled out by Leighton Baines’s 89th minute
- prior to that
we won 1-0 at Old Trafford in 2013
against David Moyes’s Man Utd
- Bryan Oviedo scored that
wonderful 86th minute winner!
- back in 1993 we played
Southampton at home on December 4th
lowest home Premier League attendance, 13,667, watched us
- but it
was Howard Kendall’s last match as manager in his second spell in
charge - he left the club later that day
- in 2010
we drew 1-1 at Chelsea in a December 4th game
- it was our 4th
successive away draw in the Premier League, our joint longest such
- oh, and a happy 57th birthday on December 4th to
- one of the unsung heroes of our 1980’s
glory years, midfielder Kevin scored 20 goals in 145 matches for
- this will be the
201st League meeting between
Liverpool and Everton, the 101st at their place
- in the
Premier League it will be meeting number 55 (the 28th at Anfield)
- and in all competitions it will be the 234th encounter and
the 108th at Anfield
- we have an appalling recent record
against our near neighbours!
- we’ve won 0 of our
last 19 meetings at all venues in all competitions - W0 D10 L9!
the League, that’s 0 wins in 17 games – W0 D10 L7
sequences are our longest without a win in Merseyside derby
- at Anfield alone we are winless there since
- that was when Kevin Campbell scored the
only goal in
our 1-0 victory
- since then our record is W0
D10 L11 in
21 trips in all competitions!
- just in League
visits the record is W0 D9 L10 in our last 19 trips
again, both runs are the longest in history without a victory for
us against Liverpool
- our full dismal Prem record at
Anfield is W2 D12 L13 - F18 A40
- we’ve failed to score in
our last 3 Premier League derby meetings, home and away - that’s a
club record too!
- Wayne Rooney was the last player to
score for us against Liverpool in the League
- his 77th minute
penalty earned us
a 1-1 draw at Anfield in December 2017
- that was
after Mo Salah had put the reds ahead just before half-time
- oh, and we haven’t kept a Premier League clean sheet at
Anfield in 6 visits - that’s another unwanted record too!
- our last
one was in
a 0-0 draw in May 2013
- you can see a wealth of Derby
by clicking here
- here's a taster:
Most Derby Appearances
- All comps: 41 – N Southall, 36 – I
- Lge Only: 31 – N Southall, 30 – S Gerrard
- Prem: 30 – S
Gerrard, 27 – J Carragher, 18 – T Howard, L Baines, T Hibbert, L
Most Derby Starts
- All comps: 41 – N Southall, 34 – B
- Lge Only: 31 – N Southall, 28 – I Callaghan
- Prem: 27 –
S Gerrard, 26 – J Carragher, 18 – Tim Howard
Most Derby Goals
All comps: 25 – I Rush, 19 – W Dean
- Lge Only: 18 – W Dean, 13 – I
- Prem: 9 – S Gerrard, 6- R Fowler, 5 – T Cahill, D Kuyt
Most Derby Clean Sheets
- All comps: 15 – R Clemence, N Southall
Only: 14 – R Clemence, 10 – N Southall
- Prem: 8 – J Reina, 4 – T
Howard, S Mignolet, N Southall
Derby Sendings Off
- 27 in
total, 18 x EFC players and 9 x LFC players
- First = Alf Milward
in November 1896
- Last = Ramiro Funes Mori (EFC)
in April 2016
LFC = Sotirios Kyrgiakos
in February 2010
- that total of 27 is the highest
number of dismissals in any Everton fixture
- 26 in our
meetings with Chelsea comes
next in the list
- and the 18 Everton
sendings-off is our largest total against any club, with Chelsea
again next on 12
- 11 in total, 4 x EFC
players and 7 x LFC players
- First = Sandy Young (EFC)
in April 1904
- Last = Steven Gerrard (LFC)
in March 2012
- 16 to
EFC (12 scored) and 27 to LFC (20 scored)
- since WW2, EFC have had
just 2 penalties at Anfield
- both were scored: Wayne Clarke
in December 1988
and Wayne Rooney
in December 2017
- in the same period, LFC have had 9
penalties at Goodison!
- in all comps, at all venues, only
Blackburn can match
the 27 penalties that Liverpool have been
awarded against us
- they‘ve had 27 too
have converted 20 of their 27 spot-kicks
- nobody has scored more
penalties against us!
- will Liverpool score a
against us this time?
- if they do, it will be the 50th successful spot-kick against us in
all of our away Prem games!
- and if we score one
it will be our
450th converted penalty in all of our games ever in
all competitions at all venues!
Derby Own Goals
- 10 by EFC players (5 at home, 5 away)
- most recent
in October 2012
- 3 by LFC players (all at EFC)
- most recent
in October 2007
Played For Both Sides
- 33 players have
played for both EFC and LFC
- but only 12 players have played for both
EFC and LFC in the Merseyside derby
- and only 2 have scored for both
sides - Dave Johnson and Peter Beardsley
- a number of
milestones may be reached at Anfield:
- Cenk Tosun needs 1 more
appearance to reach 50 for us in all comps - he's currently made
25 starts + 24 as a sub
Richarlison needs 1 more app to reach 50 for us in the
Premier League - at the moment he's on 46 starts + 3 as a sub
Lucas Digne also needs 1 more app to reach 50 for us in the Prem -
so far he's made 47 starts + 2 as a sub
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin needs 1 more start
to reach 50 for us in the Prem - he's on 49 at the moment
- will Dominic
Calvert-Lewin make a substitute appearance at Anfield?
- if he does it will be the
49th time he’s come off the bench for us in all games
would match James Vaughan’s total and they would be in joint
9th place on
- that list is headed by Victor
Anichebe with 95!
- if he does come on as a sub and
scores it will be his
8th Everton goal as a substitute in all competitions
- that’s the same as
managed by Duncan Ferguson and Adrian Heath
- and only Victor
Anichebe (13) has scored more for us from the bench!
- meanwhile keep an eye on Divock Origi,
if he’s on the Liverpool bench!
- Origi has scored 2 goals against
Everton as a substitute
only 4 players have scored more than
that after coming on as a sub against us
- they are Olivier Giroud, Tomas
Rosicky, Ian Rush and Daniel Sturridge, who all managed 3 goals
- Mason Holgate has now
played 45 Premier League games for us without a goal!
- will he
play and remain scoreless against Liverpool?
- if so, he'll
move 1 ahead of Nuno Valente and into 4th place alone on our ‘Most
Prem Games Without A Goall’ chart!
- that list is headed, of course, by Tony Hibbert
- Hibbo racked up 265
Prem appearances for the club (and 329 in all competitions!)
without a goal!
- also above Mason would be Earl Barrett (74 Prem
games for us and no goals) and Richard Dunne (60)
kicked-off matches at all sorts of weird and wonderful times
this will be the first occasion that any competitive Everton
fixture has started at 8.15pm!
- the nearest is 8.10pm.
beat Preston 2-0 at Goodison in October 2004 in the League Cup in
a game that was scheduled to start at 8.00pm
- but it was delayed
by 10 minutes due to crowd congestion
- our only game that
started at its scheduled time of 8.10pm came in
- it was an
FA Cup 4th Round Replay against ….. Liverpool!
- this was the famous
‘Dan Gosling’ derby
- with the young midfielder scoring the only
goal of the game after 118 minutes to give us a famous victory!
- here's a
reminder of the most recent additions to the site:
was our oldest ever starting line-up? And the youngest?
seasons were our oldest and youngest? Which managers went with
youth and who went wth old codgers?!
it's all here in the new 'Average
Staring Line-Up Ages section'!
- which Everton
player made the most substitute appearances in a single season?!
in all competitions and in the League alone?
- the new 'Most
Sub Apps In One Season' section has the answers!
- which Everton substitute has scored the most goals for us?
- which opposition sub has scored the most against us?
- the new 'Goals
by Substitutes' section will let you know!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 39 different players last season in all competitions
and 15 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
- Ademola Lookman was the last Everton player to score on his
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- Wayne Rooney has now departed, of course, but who else has had
2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some years
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones/u>
Seamus Coleman needs 1 more appearance to reach 300 for
us in all competitions - so far he's made 272 starts + 27 as a sub
Cenk Tosun needs
appearance to reach 50 for us in all comps - he's currently made
25 starts + 24 as a sub
needs 1 more appearance to reach 100 for us in all competitions -
he's made 67 + 32 as a sub so far
needs 2 more starts to reach 50 for us in the Premier League -
he's on 48 at the moment
Dates of Birth