CAN WE BEAT BRUCE'S BARCODES ... ?!
... it’s Phil Neville’s
birthday on January 21st!
- our ex-skipper made 303
appearances in nearly 8 years at the club up until 2013
he'll be 43 years young!
- oh, and on the day after
(January 22nd) there is a very significant anniversary!
will be 113 years since the birth of a certain
William Ralph Dean
- ‘Dixie’ scored 383 goals in 433
Everton games between 1925 and 1937
- he's considered by most to be the
greatest ever Evertonian
- we are unbeaten in our last 6
January 21st, home and away - W4 D2 L0
most recent was
a 1-0 victory at Crystal Palace in 2017
was courtesy of Seamus Coleman’s 87th minute winner
Goodison we’ve never lost a home League game on January 21st - W6 D1
- the most recent was the one draw -
1-1 with Blackburn in
- the latest of those six home League wins on Jan 21
was in 2006
- James Beattie’s 13th minute goal was enough to
see off Arsenal 1-0
- the Gunners also had Cesc Fabregas sent
off in second half injury time
- and in that Arsenal game,
goalkeeper Nigel Martyn played his final League game for us
and he became
our oldest ever Premier League player at 39 years
and 163 days old!
- our oldest ever player was also a
- Ted Sagar was 42 years and 282 days old when he
played in our
1-0 Div 2 loss at Plymouth in November 1952!
- in 1939 we played 3rd tier Doncaster Rovers on January 21st in
an FA Cup 4th Round tie
- Tommy Lawton scored four times as
we won 8-0
- that was one of only 7 times we’ve scored
exactly 8 goals in a game.
we beat Newcastle 2-1 when we last
played them - at St James’ Park on December 28th
Calvert-Lewin scored both goals in Carlo Ancelotti’s second game
- a win for us this time round would give us our
double of the season!
- at Goodison
we drew 1-1 when they last visited Goodison in December 2018
Richarlison equalised Salomon Rondon’s opener on that occasion
- and we have a fine recent
home record against the Geordies
- W10 D4 L1 in their last 15 trips here, all in the League
- our most recent win was
a 1-0 victory in April 2018, with
Theo Walcott scoring our 51st minute winner
- the one
Newcastle victory in that run was in
- Hatim Ben
Arfa’s goal just before the break was enough to give them the
- this will be our
50th Premier League meeting with
Newcastle, home and away
- and a win would be our 50th home
victory against them in all competitions!
- one goal for the
Geordies, meanwhile, would bring up 100 for them at Goodison in
all of their visits to play us here
- will Jordan Pickford
and Dominic Calvert-Lewin play against Newcastle?
- if they do,
they will each reach 100 Premier League appearances for us!
45 others have reached that milestone for us so far
with Tim Howard the club record holder on 354 Prem games
all of Jordan Pickford’s Prem appearances for us so far have been in
- he’d be just the third Everton player to
100 successive Prem games
- and only the 8th in our
- will Jordan keep a clean sheet?!
- if he does it will be
his 31st for us in the Premier League
- that's the same as Nigel Martyn achieved for the club!
only Tim Howard (116) and Neville Southall (62) have managed more
- Richarlison’s recent winner against Brighton
meant that he has now scored 11 Prem goals for us
at Goodison Park
- that's exactly the same as Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Gylfi
- they have some way to go, though, to reach
the top of that particular chart
- it's headed by Romelu
- followed by Duncan Ferguson (38), Kevin Campbell
and Leon Osman (both 26) and Tim Cahill (25)!
- Steve Bruce
is, of course, the Newcastle manager
- and this will be the
5th different team he’s managed against us at Goodison Park in the
- he’s also been the boss of Birmingham,
Wigan, Sunderland and Hull in the past in Prem games at our
- Bruce will join three others at the top of
that particular tree:
- Roy Hodgson (Blackburn, Fulham,
Liverpool, West Brom and Crystal Palace),
- Mark Hughes
(Blackburn, Man City, Fulham, Stoke and Southampton), and
Alan Pardew (West Ham, Charlton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and
- oh, and the game will see our fourth different
manager in our 4 most recent
home meetings with Newcastle!
Carlo Ancelotti this time,
- Marco Silva in December 2018, Sam
Allardyce in April 2018 and Roberto Martinez in February 2016!
- there have been
35 penalties scored in all of our previous
meetings with Newcastle (from 43 taken)
- that’s more than in
any of our meetings with any other opponent!
- we’ve scored 17
and the Geordies have scored 18
- this will be only the 4th
time we’ve played Newcastle on a Tuesday
- the last one -
at St James’ Park in March 2014 - ended in
a 3-0 win for us
- the second - at Goodison in May 1977 -
also ended in a victory for us,
2-0 on that occasion
- the first, however,
in December 1933, and also at Goodison, was a very different affair
Newcastle were 4-1 up at half-time and ran out 7-3 winners at the
end of 90 minutes!
- up until the 1990’s, 7.30pm was the
usual kick-off time for Everton’s home midweek games
this will be just our 3rd match since 1997 with that starting
- the last one was our
1-0 home defeat by Reading in
the FA Cup 5th Round in March 2011
- the other was also at
a 4-1 Premier League win against Fulham on Good
Friday in April 2007
- here's a
reminder of the most recent additions to the site:
was our oldest ever starting line-up? And the youngest?
seasons were our oldest and youngest? Which managers went with
youth and who went wth old codgers?!
it's all here in the new 'Average
Staring Line-Up Ages section'!
- which Everton
player made the most substitute appearances in a single season?!
in all competitions and in the League alone?
- the new 'Most
Sub Apps In One Season' section has the answers!
- which Everton substitute has scored the most goals for us?
- which opposition sub has scored the most against us?
- the new 'Goals
by Substitutes' section will let you know!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 39 different players last season in all competitions
and 15 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
- Ademola Lookman was the last Everton player to score on his
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- Wayne Rooney has now departed, of course, but who else has had
2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some years
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones
needs 1 more start to reach 100 for us in the Premier
League - he's currently on 99
needs 1 more appearance to reach 100 for us in the Premier League
- so far he's made 58 starts + 41 as a sub
Sigurdsson needs 2 more appearances to reach 100 for us
in all competitions - so far he's made 89 starts + 9 as a sub
Theo Walcott needs 2 more starts to reach 50 for
us in all competitions - he's currently on 48
needs 2 more appearances to reach 50 for us in the Premier League
- so far he's made 35 starts + 13 as a sub
Dates of Birth