THE MERRIMENT CONTINUES ON THE SOUTH COAST! ...
... we lost on our last
October 25th outing -
2-1 at Chelsea in 2017 in a League Cup 4th
- it was David Unsworth’s first match as our
caretaker manager after the departure of Ronald Koeman
our last October 25 win was at Goodison
3-1 in 2007
- it was in
a UEFA Cup Group game against Greek side AE Larissa
- it's a
game remembered mostly for a wonderful Everton team goal scored by
- away from home, we’ve won 0 of our last 5
games in all competitions
on this date - W0 D2 L3
last away success was in 1975 with
a 2-1 victory at Wolves in the
old Division 1
- Gary Jones’ 86th minute goal sealed the win
- we’ve played Southampton once before in the past on October
- it was in 1966 and
we won 3-1 at the old Dell ground,
courtesy of a double from future Saint Alan Ball
- they came
after Derek Temple had opened the scoring for us
- Ron Davies
grabbed a consolation between Ball’s two efforts
had a few notable other matches on October 25th in the past
- in 1919, we played our 1,000th competitive match in
a 3-0 home win against Blackburn in the old Division 1!
1958, Johnny Carey took control of the team for the first time as
our manager in
a 1-1 draw away at Blackpool
- and in 2008,
we drew 1-1 at Goodison with Man Utd
- it was a game remembered
mostly for Phil Neville’s crunching tackle on Cristiano Ronaldo!
- we were 1-0 down and we’d had a ropey start to
but the tackle energised the team, we drew 1-1 and lost just 3 of
our next 25 games!
- we drew last time we met the Saints -
1-1 at Goodison in July after last season’s re-start
Ward-Prowse hit the bar with a 28th minute Saints penalty
before Danny Ings opened the scoring just after the half-hour
- and Richarlison equalised 2 minutes before half-time
St Mary’s we won on our last visit -
2-1 in November last year,
with Tom Davies and Richarlison scoring our goals
our only win there in 4 trips - W1 L3
- and indeed we have a
poor recent record in our
away meetings with the Saints
- W3 D5
L11 in our last 19 away matches, all in the Premier League, going
back to 1994
- we’ve had one-or-two other interesting
encounters with the Saints in the past
- in August 1999,
Richard Gough scored in our
4-1 home win over Southampton
made him our
oldest ever Premier League goalscorer at 37 years 138
- in October 1978, George Wood kept his 7th successive
clean sheet at Goodison
- it came in a Division 1
- that’s the
joint club home record
in November 1971, one of 7 times we’ve won by 8 goals came in the
8-0 home win over the Saints
- and the scoreboard famously
read 7 9 7 9 8 9 9 7 to indicate the scorers (Royle 4, Johnson 3
- in December 1993, our
lowest home Premier League attendance, 13,667, watched us
beat Southampton 1-0
was Howard Kendall’s last match as manager in his second spell in
- he left the club later that day
- a win this
time would be our
50th against Southampton in all of our meetings
- that's in all competitions at all venues, in our
104th encounter overall
- if Michael Keane plays at St
Mary’s it will be his 100th appearance for us in the Premier
- so far he's made 95 starts + 4 as a sub
the 50th player to reach that milestone for the club!
- if Seamus Coleman starts
the game it will be his 293rd start for us in all competitions
- one more than another legendary Everton right-back, Gary
- Seamus would move to 39th place alone on
that particular Everton chart!
- it would also be his 254th
League start for us
- the same number achieved by another
former skipper Roger Kenyon
- they’d be in
joint 39th place on
that Everton list!
- an appearance would also stretch
Seamus’s Everton playing career to 11 years and 3 days
made his debut for us away at Benfica in the Europa League in 2009
- he’d be the 30th Everton player to have a playing career for us
11 years plus
- what can we say about Dominic
Calvert-Lewin’s start to the season?
he’s now scored 31 goals for us in his Premier League career
and he is in 7th place on
our all-time Prem scoring chart, just 2
behind David Unsworth
- Dom has also now scored in 5
consecutive League games for us, home and away!
- can he
continue the run at Southampton?!
- only 20 players have
6 or more successive League games for us in the past
- and only 1 player has managed it for us in
was Romelu Lukaku who scored in 7 successive Premier League
- our all-time League record holder
is, unsurprisingly, Dixie Dean
- he scored in 12 successive
Division 2 games for the club between
December 1930 and February 1931!
- our top-flight record holder is another great
Everton centre-forward, Bert Freeman
- he scored in 10
consecutive Division 1 games for us between
October and December 1908
- that was on his way to topping the League goalscoring
charts with 38 goals in that season!
Calvert-Lewin’s run has of course come in our first League games of the season!
- Everton players have only
managed that (or better) 6 times before:
games - Dixie Dean (1927/28)
first 6 games -
Tommy Lawton (1938/39), Dixie Dean (1933/34), Fred Geary (1890/91)
first 5 games - Tommy White (1930/31 - in Division 2), Sandy Young
- as a team, we’ve managed 14 goals in our first
5 League games this season.
- we haven’t done that since we
also scored 14 in our first 5 matches in 1936/37!
best 5 match goal returns at the start of a League season are:
23 in 1890/91
20 in 1894/95
15 in 1907/08
14 in 1893/94, 1906/07, 1927/28, 1930/31,
- our best ever after 6 League games?
25 in 1890/91
24 in 1894/95
21 in 1893/94
17 in 1907/08, 1938/39
16 in 1927/28,
- we’ve now gone 8 matches
unbeaten from the start of the season in all competitions
haven’t bettered that since our club record start - 17 games
without defeat at the start of the 1978/79 campaign
- if we
avoid defeat at St Mary’s it will mean 6
League games without losing at the start of the season
- our best since a similar run in
- our Premier
League record is 7 matches unbeaten at the start of the
- the all-time club League record also came in that
1978/79 season mentioned above
- we avoided defeat in our first
19 League games of that campaign!
- we’ve won both of our
away League games so far
this season - and all 3 in all
- the last time we won our first 3 away
League games was back in 1938/39
- the last time we won our first 4 away games in a season
in all comps was in 1930/31!
they were all Division 2 matches
- the club record is a
winning run of 6 away games at the beginning of 1908/09, all in
the old Division 1!
- we currently have 13 points from our
opening 5 League games this season!
- the last time we managed
that was in
- and our club record (adjusting all
seasons to 3 points for a win) is 15 which we’ve managed on 4
- most recently in 1938/39
- a draw at St Mary’s would take us on to 14 points after 6 League
games - which we reached most recently in 1978/79
- a win would see us on 16 points for the first time after 6 games
of 3 times we’ve reached that many in the past
- the club
record is 18 points after 6 games (6 wins!)
- and we’ve done
that twice - in 1938/39 and 1894/95!
- a win at St Mary’s
would be our 5th away victory on the run in all competitions
the last time we managed that was in a similar run in
- a win would also be our 4th in succession away from home in the
League for the first time since
- the club record
- and we’ve achieved that on 2 occasions, most recently in
1915 - 1919, a run interrupted by the war!
- all the matches were in the League
- if we avoid
defeat at Southampton it will take our unbeaten run in all
competitions to 9 games, home and away
- our best since an
undefeated run of 10 games in
October to December 2013
- it would also mean an
unbeaten run of 5 away games in all comps
- that would be the
first time since
December 2016 to February 2017
- just in the
League the unbeaten run would stretch to 6 games, home and away,
if we avoid defeat at St Mary’s
- the best since a run
of 7 in
- it would also mean an unbeaten run
of 4 away games in the League
- that would be the first time
since a run of 5 in
December 2016 to February 2017
- if we
score at Southampton it will be for the 12th consecutive match in all
- we haven’t done that since a run of 15 games ending in
- and 2 goals at Southampton would take us
to 2,700 away from home in
our Top Flight history!
- the match
live on UK TV on Sky Sports
- and if we avoid defeat it
will be 8 games unbeaten for us in live televised games in the UK
- that would equal our record set back in
November 1994 to August 1995
- we’ve played 14 away games in the past on a Sunday
with a 2.00pm kick-off and we’ve won just one - W1 D7 L6
- the one win was back in October 2007,
2-0 at Derby
- the last one
a 4-0 defeat at Chelsea last March
- here's a
reminder of the most recent additions to the site:
11 Everton players started the most games together?
- which two players started the most
times together for us?
- what about the Holy Trinity? Or The
1995 FA Cup winning team? Or Dean and Lawton? How many times
- have a look at the new
Starting Line-Ups section' - it's got it all!
was our oldest ever starting line-up? And the youngest?
seasons were our oldest and youngest? Which managers went with
youth and who went wth old codgers?!
it's all here in the new 'Average
Starting Line-Up Ages section'!
- which Everton
player made the most substitute appearances in a single season?!
in all competitions and in the League alone?
- the new 'Most
Sub Apps In One Season' section has the answers!
- which Everton substitute has scored the most goals for us?
- which opposition sub has scored the most against us?
- the new 'Goals
by Substitutes' section will let you know!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 39 different players
in 2017/18 in all competitions
and 15 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
Richarlison was the last Everton player to score on his
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- Wayne Rooney has
long departed, of course, but who else has had
2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some years
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones
needs 2 more appearances to reach 50 for us in the Premier League - so
far he's made 41 starts + 7 as a sub
Dates of Birth