LET'S FORGET SOUTHAMPTON AND THE LEAGUE CUP, SHALL WE?
... well, not entirely - here
are a few stats
- it was our 50th home meeting with Southampton
and our 100th at all venues
- we were knocked out on penalties, of course, but the official
match result was a draw
- that continues our unbeaten recent
home run against the Saints - W10 D5 L0 in the last 15
- it was the first time we've been involved in a penalty shoot-out
without having played extra time
- and the loss continued our miserable record in them - we've
won just 6 of the 15 we've contested!
here to see the full rotten record
- just out of interest, here's a full list of all the players
who've missed from the spot for us in a shoot-out:
- Joe Royle, Paul Wilkinson, Neil Adams, Neil Pointon, John Oster,
Ibrahima Bakayoko, Joe-Max Moore,
- Kevin Campbell (twice!), David Unsworth, Leon Osman, Steve Watson,
Yakubu, Phil Jagielka (twice!),
- Tim Cahill, Jermaine Beckford, Leighton Baines, Steven Naismith,
Joel Robles, Richarlison & Theo Walcott
- oh, and Leighton Baines's Everton playing career now stretches
to 11 years and 38 days
- he's moved ahead of Brian Harris and Mick Lyons and is now 25th
on our longest
playing career chart
- and so on to Leicester away on October
- legendary Everton centre-forward Tommy
Lawton was born on October 6th in 1919
- Tommy scored 70 goals in 95 appearances in the 1930's after
replacing a certain Dixie Dean
- we’ve never played Leicester before in an October 6th fixture
- and we drew on our last outing on that date, 2-2
away at Wigan in 2012
- our last Oct 6 win was a 4-2 League Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg victory
Lincoln at Goodison in 1993
- that saw us progress 8-5 on aggregate
- our last away win on October 6th came at
Coventry in 1973
- late goals from Mick Lyons (82’) and John Connolly (91’) did
the trick that day
- we beat Leicester the last time we played them
- that was 2-1
at Goodison last January with a double from Theo Walcott
- that was the latest in an up-and-down set of results for us
- W-L-W-L-W-L, home and away in all competitions in the last 6
- away from home we’ve only won once in our last
9 visits to their ground – W1 D5 L3
- the one win in that sequence was a
2-0 victory on Boxing Day 2016
- with goals from Kevin Mirallas and, in injury time, Romelu Lukaku
- our last trip to the King Power Stadium ended in a
2-0 defeat in October 2017
- expect goals!
- our last 12 meetings with Leicester home and away in all competitions
have seen each side score 22 goals!
- and expect a draw!
- our full
record against them in the Premier League is P24 - W7 D13
- oh, and this will be our 50th Top Flight encounter against Leicester
at their place!
- if they play at Leicester it will be the 50th Premier League
game for us for 2 players
- Morgan Schneiderlin and Dominic Calvert-Lewin are the men in
- a win at Leicester, by the way, would be the 600th
away from home in our Top Flight history!
- Andre Marriner will referee the game
- we’ve lost on all of his most recent 5 matches in the middle!
- oh, dear!
- 2 of those 5 were against Leicester too!
- in his last 7 in charge, our record is W1 D0 L6!
- will he send anyone off?
- there have been 5
dismissals in all previous Everton fixtures with Leicester
– all of them Everton players!
- the guilty parties were Duncan Ferguson (twice!), Vinnie Samways,
Colin Harvey and Dave Hickson
- and will Mr Marriner award a penalty
- if he gives one to Leicester it will be the 200th for all of
our opponents in all of our away League games ever!
- if Leicester miss a pen it will be the 100th missed by all of
our opponents in all of our away League games
- and if either side miss one it would be the 150th missed in
total in all of our away League games
- the match is a Saturday 3.00pm game, of course
- home and away on a Saturday (whatever the kick-off time) we
are unbeaten in 9 games – W3 D6 L0
- and we’ve only lost once in 12 – W5 D6 L1
- away from home we’re unbeaten in 5 Saturday games – W2 D3 L0
- and in our last 10 Saturday matches kicking off at 3.00pm, home
and away, we haven’t lost – W6 D4 L0!
- whilst away from home we’re unbeaten in 4 – W2 D2 L0 and have
lost just once in 9 – W3 D5 L1
- a reminder of some newer sections on the site!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 39 different players last season in all competitions
and 15 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
- Ademola Lookman was the last Everton player to score on his
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- Wayne Rooney has now departed, of course, but who else has had
2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some years
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones
Mason Holgate needs 2 more appearances to reach 50
for us in all competitions - he's on 43 + 5 at the moment
Dates of Birth