MORE AWAY DIRENESS AT SWANSEA ...
... is 'direness' a word?!
- it was our 9th Saturday game in succession, home and away, all
in the League!
- that hasn't happened since February-April
- we've only won once now in our
last 9 encounters with the Swans, home and away in all competitions
- W1 D5 L3
- in the Premier league our away record against them is W3 D3
L1 and in all League visits it is W8 D4 L1
- having said that, we haven't beaten them now in any of our last
5 trips to South Wales in all competitions
- W0 D3 L2 (one of those defeats came in the League Cup)
- the latest draw was our 150th
away from home in our Premier League history!
- our current away Prem record is P498 - W127 D150 L221 - F524
- the game was, of course, a Saturday match
- we've had just 1 win now in our last 12 away Saturday fixtures
- W1 D4 L7, all in the Premier League!
- nice to see Ramiro Funes Mori return to the team
- it was his first appearance of this campaign
- we've now used
39 players this season in all competitions
- that extends the club record!
- the previous highest was 36 in 2009/10
- Phil Jagielka made his 374th appearance for us in all competitions
- that puts him level with the legendary 1960s/70s full-back Tommy
- they are in joint 20th place on our
All-Time Appearances list
- and Phil has now made 311 League appearances for the club
- he's now 20th, 1 ahead of 1950s/60s utility man Brian Harris,
on our our
All-Time League appearances list
- Seamus Coleman is now in joint 65th place on that list with
214 League games
- he's level with 1980s hero Trevor Steven!
- if was also Phil's 295th Premier League start for the
- that moves him equal with Leon Osman in 3rd place on our
All-Time Prem starts chart
- only Tim Howard (354) and Leighton Baines (313) have started
more Premier League games for us!
- and congratulations to Morgan Schneiderlin!
- he made his 50th appearance for us in all competitions against
- that's made up of 42 starts and 8 substitute outings
- Wayne Rooney was subbed off once again at the Liberty Stadium
- that's the 23rd time it's happened to him this season in all
- and that equals
the club record for being replaced the most times in a single
- Wayne has joined Yakubu (2007/08) and Marcus Bent (2004/05)
at the top that chart!
- it was also the 19th time it's happened to Wayne this season
in the League too
- only 1 player has been replaced more times in one Everton League
- that was Marcus Bent, 21 (2004/05)
- and so on to Newcastle at home on April
how the Everton programme welcomed the Magpies in March 1957!
- we've never played the Magpies before on that date
- and we've lost on our last 2 outings on April 23 - both against
Manchester United, coincidentally!
- the most recent was the heartbreaking 2016
FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley
- you may remember that Anthony Martial's 92nd minute goal gave
them a 2-1 victory
- the previous April 23 meeting was in 2011 when we
lost 1-0 at Old Trafford
- our last April 23rd home game was a
1-1 draw with Birmingham in 2005
- and our last home win on that date (in fact our last win anywhere
on April 23rd) was back in 1984
against Wolves, with Andy Gray and Trevor Steven providing
- that was one of 9 home games for us in the past on that date
- and we've lost 0 of them! W3 D6 L0
- aside from the 2016 meeting with Man Utd, we've also played
2 other FA Cup Semi-Finals on April 23rd
- in 1966 Colin
Harvey scored in the 79th minute at Bolton's old ground, Burden
- it was enough to beat Man Utd on that occasion
- and it took us to the Final and 3-2 glory over Sheffield Wednesday
- in 1977 one of the
most notorious games in our history took place
- it was at Maine Road, Man City's previous ground
- we came back from 1-0 and 2-1 down against Liverpool
- and with time almost up, Ronny Goodlass crossed from the left
- and Bryan Hamilton knocked the ball home with his hip for a
- except that referee Clive Thomas inexplicably disallowed the
- it wasn't offside, it wasn't handball
- and Thomas initially refused to elaborate at all on why he'd
made his decision
- the truth is he got it wrong and, of course, we lost the replay
4 days later 3-0
- the pain is still raw!
- only 33 players have turned out for both Everton and Newcastle
in the past
- have a look at these
stickers designed by the marvellous Toffee
- they show 4 of those 33 players
- better still, pop into St Luke's Church before the game and
have a look at all of their memorabilia
- they have a stall as part of the Everton
Heritage Society's exhibitions before every home game
- we are currently on a run of 4 straight victories against Newcastle,
home and away
- and we haven't conceded a goal in any of them! (1-0, 3-0, 1-0,
- the most recent was the 1-0
win at St James' Park last December
- Wayne Rooney scored and Jonjo Shelvey received a red card in
- our last home meeting with them was in February 2016
- 2 late Ross Barkley penalties helped us to a
- and Jamaal Lascelles was this time dismissed in injury time!
- expect goals!
- our last 5 home
games against the Geordies have seen these scorelines: 3-0,
3-0, 3-2, 2-2, 3-1
- our last Goodison defeat against them, by the way, came back
in September 2010
- Hatim Ben Arfa's goal just on half-time was the difference between
the sides that day
- that's their only win at Goodison in 13 visits, however - our
record over that period is W9 D3 L1
- a win against Newcastle would bring us just our 2nd
League 'double' of the season
- the other was, you may remember, against Stoke City
- a draw would be our 3rd on the run, home and away - and we haven't
managed that since April
- a defeat, meanwhile, would be our 15th in the League this season,
home and away
- that would be the most (equal with 2014/15) since we lost 16
- a draw or a defeat would also be our 10th game shown live
on UK TV without a win!
- we've only 'achieved' that twice before
- from February 2000 to November 2001 we managed a run of 11 games
live on TV without a victory
- but the club record is 12, which we achieved earlier this season,
from August to November 2017!
- 2 goals for us this time, by the way, would take us to 1,300,
home and away, in our Premier League history
(in our 997th Premier League game)!
- 1 goal conceded, on the other hand, would take us to 55
against in the League this season
- that would be the most (equal with 2015/16) since the 57 we
shipped in 2003/04!
- if he plays against the Magpies, it will be Leighton Baines'
400th appearance for us in all competitions!
- he'd be just the 18th
Everton player to reach that milestone
- Phil Jagielka, if he plays, would move into 20th place alone
all-time appearances list on 375
- he'd be 1 ahead of legendary 1960s/70s full-back Tommy Wright
- if Phil starts the game it will be his 296th Premier
League start for the club
- that's 1 more than Leon Osman managed
- and Phil will have only Tim Howard (354) and Leighton Baines
(314) ahead of him on that
- if Seamus Coleman plays he will move up to 215 League appearances
- he'd be 1 ahead of 1980s legend Trevor Steven and in 65th place
alone on our
all-time League apps list
- will Wayne Rooney be subbed off again?
- if he does, it will be the 24th time that's happened to him
this season in all competitions
- that would overtake Yakubu (2007/08) and Marcus Bent (2004/05)
- both on 23
- and it would mean that Wayne will become the
most subbed player in a single Everton season!
- it would be the 20th time it's happened in the League too
- and only Marcus Bent, 21 times in 2004/05, has been replaced
more times in one Everton League campaign!
- Robert Madley will be refereeing the match
- we've never lost at Goodison with him in the middle - W4 D2
- will he award any penalties or
send anyone off?!
- all-in-all, there have been 35
penalties scored out of 42 awarded in all Everton/Newcastle
- that's more than in any other Everton fixture at all venues!
- Newcastle have scored 18 of the 23 they've received - and that's
more than any other Everton opponent
- a penalty this time for Newcastle would be the 10th
for all of our opponents so far this season
- that would equal the club record set in 1976/77!
- if we save a Newcastle penalty it will be the 4th
pen save this season by an EFC keeper
- Jordan Pickford saved one at
Hadjuk Split in August and against
West Ham at Goodison in November
- and Joel Robles kept one out against
Atalanta also in November
- our keepers have saved 3 pens in a season several times before
(most recently in 2009/10)
- but we've never had a season when Everton keepers have saved
- between us and our opponents, 6 penalties have been saved by
goalkeepers this season
- that's only ever happened once before in our history - in 1904/05!
- another save this time would set a new club record!
- Ramiro Funes Mori made his first appearance of the season for
us last week against Swansea
- will anyone else make their seasonal debut for us against Newcastle?
- if they do, they will be the 40th different player we've used
- we've never reached that milestone before - the
current 39 is our highest ever
- the game is, of course, a Monday night match with an 8.00pm
- we've won only 1 of our last 6 Monday games at Goodison, irrespective
of kick-off time - W1 D2 L3
- the one win was against
Southampton , 3-0, in January 2017
- in terms of 8.00pm kick-off times we've won each of our last
2 outings home and away
- that's irrespective of the day of the week
- the most recent was our 3-1
victory against Swansea in December 2017
- and we're unbeaten in last 7 - W2 D5 L0
- at Goodison we've lost just 1 of our last 12 matches starting
at 8.00pm - W7 D4 L1
- putting the day and time together, we've lost only 1 of our
last 16 Monday/8.00pm games, home and away
- W6 D9 L1
- and just at Goodison our record in our last 14 Monday night,
8.00pm games is W7 D6 L1
- the one defeat was against
Liverpool in December 2016
- there have been 3 red cards shown in our last 4 meetings with
Newcastle - all for Newcastle players!
- Shelvey, Lascelles and Colocinni were the bad guys
- and 2 of those dismissals have come in the last 2 Goodison encounters
- Lascelles in
February 2016 and Colocinni in
- oh, and don't leave before the end!
- we've scored injury time goals in 3 of our last 4 meetings with
the Geordies, home and away
- and there have been 4 goals from the 89th minute onwards in
their last 4 trips to Goodison
- 2 by them and 2 by us!
- a reminder of some new sections on the site!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 27 different players last season in all competitions
and 19 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
- Ademola Lookman scored on his Everton debut last season
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- with Wayne Rooney having returned to Everton action, who else
has had 2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- new boy Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some
years to come
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones
Leighton Baines needs 1 more appearance to reach
400 for us in all competitions - he' currently made 378 starts
+ 21 as a sub