THE WILL-WE-OR-WON'T-WE DERBY!! ...
... there are a couple of
stand-out moments from 16th March in the past!
- on 16th
March 1925, a certain 18-year-old William Ralph Dean was
- he went from Tranmere Rovers to Everton for the
princely sum of £3,000
- whatever happened to that lad?!
- then in 2002, David Moyes took charge of his first match as
- and David Unsworth scored after 32 seconds
in the 2-1 home win over Fulham
- there are a couple of
important March 16th birthdays too
- Theo Walcott is 31 years
old and Dominic Calvert-Lewin is 23
- happy birthday to both!
- a few derby facts and figures!
- the first ever
Merseyside derby took place on 13th October 1894 at Goodison Park
- and it ended in an emphatic 3-0 win for us!
- Tom McInnes
had the honour of scoring the first goal on 11 minutes
Alex Latta and Jack Bell adding the others in the second half,
before a crowd of 44,000!
- Neville Southall holds the
record for the most appearances in derby matches
- in all
competitions Nev played 41 times against the Reds
- second on
that list is our old nemesis Ian Rush who turned out 36 times
- just in League games, Big Nev still leads the
way on 31 games
- but it’s Steven Gerrard in second place this
time on 30 appearances
- those 30 matches for Gerrard see
him head the Premier League chart with Jamie Carragher second on
- and a quartet of Blues are in joint third on 18 derby
- Leighton Baines, Tony Hibbert, Tim Howard and Leon
- the afore-mentioned Ian Rush heads the derby
- he found the back of the net 25 times in
all competitions, with Dixie Dean second on 19
in League games alone, it’s Dixie who leads the way with 18 to
- in the Premier League Steven Gerrard’s 9
strikes sees him as top dog, followed by Robbie Fowler on 6
and then Tim Cahill, Dirk Kuyt and Divock Origi with 5
the first sending-off in the derby?
- it wasn't, as some people
think, the joint dismissals of Gary Stanley and Terry McDermott at
Anfield in October 1979
- they were numbers 2 and 3 on the bad
- the first was Everton’s Alf Millward, also at
Anfield, way back in November 1896
- that was for ‘charging at
- the first sending-off at Goodison was
Everton’s Glenn Keeley
- it came 31 minutes into his only
appearance for the club in November 1982
- as we infamously
went down 5-0 with Ian Rush bagging four of the goals
there have been 27 dismissals in total in the derby
the highest number of sendings-off in any Everton fixture
and the 18 Everton sendings-off is our largest total against any
- however, here hasn’t been a dismissal for almost 4
- with Ramon Funes Mori being the last to see red at
Anfield in April 2016
- the last Red to take an early bath
was Sotirios Kyrgiakos, also at Anfield
- tht was just over 10
years ago in February 2010
- only 12 players have managed
to appear for both Everton and Liverpool in the derby
Ablett, Nick Barmby, Peter Beardsley, David Burrows,
Chadwick, Dick Forshaw, Don Hutchison, David Johnson,
Johnson, Bill Lacey, Steve McMahon and Abel Xavier
those 12, only Peter Beardsley and David Johnson have the honour
of having scored for both sides in the derby!
- this will
be the 202nd League meeting between Liverpool and Everton, the
101st at Goodison
- in the Premier League it will be meeting
number 56 (the 28th at Goodison)
- and in all competitions it
will be the 236th encounter and the 115th at our place
have an appalling recent record against our near neighbours!
we’ve won 0 of our last 21 meetings at all venues in all
competitions - W0 D10 L11!
- in the League, that’s 0 wins in 18
games - W0 D10 L8
- both sequences are our longest without a
win in Merseyside derby history
- at Goodison we haven’t
beaten them in 8 encounters
- not since our 2-0 victory in
October 2010, in fact
- when goals from Tim Cahill and Mikel
Arteta did the damage!
- last season we drew 0-0 at
Goodison - the second scoreless draw in a row at our place in the
- in fact, we’ve failed to score in their last 3 visits
to Goodison and in 4 of their last 5!
- in all
competitions, on a points per game basis (adjusted to 3 points for
a win) ...
- ... we have a worse home record against Liverpool
than against any other opponent!
- (counting only teams
we’ve met more than twice)
- keep an eye on Divock
Origi, if he’s on the Liverpool bench!
- Origi has scored 2
goals against Everton as a substitute
- and only 4 players
have scored more than that after coming on as a sub against us
- Olivier Giroud, Tomas Rosicky, Ian Rush and Daniel Sturridge,
who all managed 3 goals
- if Seamus Coleman plays against
Liverpool it will be his 266th League appearance for us
that’s one more than the figure reached by another Everton
full-back, Tony Hibbert
- Seamus would move to 35th place alone
on our all-time League list
- and he'd be in 6th position
alone on our Premier League appearances chart!
- only Tim
Howard (354), Leon Osman (352), Leighton Baines (343),
Jagielka (322) and David Unsworth (302) would be above him on that
- will Jordan Pickford keep a clean sheet
- if he does it will be his 31st for us in
the Premier League - the same as Nigel Martyn achieved for the
- only Tim Howard (116) and Neville Southall (62) have
managed more for us!
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been in a
rich goalscoring vein so far this season
- he’s up to 24 for
us now in his Premier League career
- he’s currently in 17th
place on our all-time Prem goalscoring chart
- and is just 1
goal behind Marouane Fellaini, Tomasz Radzinski, Wayne Rooney and
Yakubu on that list
- if he does score, Dom will be on 14
Premier League goals for us this season
- only Romelu Lukaku (3
times) and Yakubu (once) have bettered that since 1995/96
that was when Andrei Kanchelskis hit 16 League goals for us
- meanwhile, Mason Holgate still hasn’t scored for us at all
in the Premier League!
- if he plays against Liverpool and
fails to score ...
- ... he’ll move on to 61 Premier League
appearances for us without a goal!
- he’d overtake Richard
Dunne and be in 3rd position on that particular Everton chart
ahead of him would be only Earl Barrett (74 Prem games and no
goals for us)
- and Tony Hibbert, who leads the way with 265
goalless games for us in the Prem (and 329 in all competitions)!
- Moise Kean has so far made 17 substitute appearances for
us this season in the League
- will he appear off the bench
again in the derby?
- only 4 times have Everton players ever
made more than 18 substitute appearances for us in one League
- Danny Cadamarteri (1998/99), Wayne Rooney (2002/03)
- and Duncan Ferguson – 20 times in 2005/06 and 29 times in
- a win or a draw in the derby, by the way
would take our current home unbeaten run up to 9 matches in all
- our best since 11 unbeaten between January and
- meanwhile, if we don’t win it will be 4
successive games for us without one, home and away in all
- our worse run since a sequence of 5 games in
- here's a
reminder of the most recent additions to the site:
11 Everton players started the most games together?
- which two players started the most
times together for us?
- what about the Holy Trinity? Or The
1995 FA Cup winning team? Or Dean and Lawton? How many times
- have a look at the new
Starting Line-Ups section' - it's got it all!
was our oldest ever starting line-up? And the youngest?
seasons were our oldest and youngest? Which managers went with
youth and who went wth old codgers?!
it's all here in the new 'Average
Starting Line-Up Ages section'!
- which Everton
player made the most substitute appearances in a single season?!
in all competitions and in the League alone?
- the new 'Most
Sub Apps In One Season' section has the answers!
- which Everton substitute has scored the most goals for us?
- which opposition sub has scored the most against us?
- the new 'Goals
by Substitutes' section will let you know!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 39 different players
in 2017/18 in all competitions
and 15 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
Richarlison was the last Everton player to score on his
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- Wayne Rooney has
long departed, of course, but who else has had
2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some years
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones
Michael Keane needs 2 more apperances to
reach 100 for us in all competitions - so far he's made 93 starts
+ 5 as a sub
Dates of Birth