TO TOTTENHAM FOR THE FINAL MATCH OF AN UP-AND-DOWN SEASON ...
... we’ve only played 3
competitive games in the past on
- all were at Goodison and
all were against London or near-London teams (none of them Tottenham!)
- and they all ended in victory for us!
- the last one was against
(near-London) Watford in 2017
- Ross Barkley’s 55th minute goal
a 1-0 win in our final home game of the 2016-17 season
- there is one notable Everton birthday on May 12th
- the much-missed fiery midfielder was born in
- World Cup winner Bally played 251 games for us, scoring 79
- and was shockingly transferred to Tottenham’s North
London rivals Arsenal in December 1971
- we have a
terrible recent record against
- we’ve lost 4 in a row
against them, home and away
- and we've won 0 of our last 12 - W0 D5 L7,
all in the Prem
- our most recent encounter ended in an
2-6 home defeat back in December
- our last trip to
their place - which was Wembley Stadium at the time - saw us
- our last victory against Tottenham was at
back in December 2012
- and it was a very dramatic win too!
Dempsey gave Spurs the lead with just 15 minutes to go
Steven Pienaar equalised on 90 minutes and Nikica Jelavic nabbed
our winner 2 minutes into injury time!
- away from home our
last success at Tottenham was
in November 2008
Corluka’s second-half own goal was the difference between the
- since then our record in
10 visits in all competitions to
their various grounds is W0 D3 L7
- it is W0 D3 L6 in our last 9 in the
- should we manage a win this time it will be
our 50th victory against Spurs in all of our League meetings, home &
- a Tottenham win, on the other hand, would give them their
second successive League
'double' over us
- will Leighton Baines
make an appearance (maybe a farewell appearance?) in our final
game of the season?
- if he does it will be his 412th game for
Everton, which would be 1 more than former captain Tommy ‘TE’
- Leighton would be in 14th place alone on
our all-time list
- if Seamus Coleman plays it will be his 290th
appearance for the club
- that's 1 more than 1900s goalkeeper Billy Scott
and a certain 1970s centre-forward named Bob Latchford!
Seamus would be in 43rd place on his own on
our all-time list
- if Phil
Jagielka plays (another farewell appearance?!) it will be his
323rd League game for the club
- that would be 1 more than
Graeme Sharp managed and Phil would be in 18th place alone on
- oh, and if Tom Davies starts at Tottenham
it will be his 50th start for us in the Premier League!
Sigurdsson and Jordan Pickford play at Tottenham?
- if so, they will have
every Everton League game this season
- that would be
the second season in a row for Jordan.
- the last time we
had an ever-present in every game in all competitions was in
both Leighton Baines and Sylvain Distin achieved the feat back
Jordan starts the game, he will have completed back-to-back full
seasons as an Everton starter
- the last player to manage that for
us was Tim Howard
- Tim started every League game for 4 successive
full seasons from
2008-09 to 2011-12!
- Brazilian Bernard
has been substituted 20 times so far this season in the Premier League
it happens again against Spurs he will equal the club
record for the most times substituted in a single League season
- he would join Marcus Bent who was substituted 21 times in the
League in the 2004-05 season
- can Jordan Pickford keep another
- if he does, it would be his
25th for us in the Premier League
- only Nigel Martyn, Neville Southall and Tim
Howard have managed more for the club, with Tim being out on top
- if he does keep a clean sheet, it will also be Jordan’s
15th for us this season in the Premier League
- only Howard and
Southall have reached that many (or more) for us before in
a single Prem campaign
- Tim Howard holds our record with 17 Prem
clean sheets in 2008-09
- for the club as a whole, we haven’t
managed 15 Prem clean sheets in a season since
clean sheet would also be our 4th in the row, home and away
- we haven’t
done that in the League since a similar run in
- oh, and we haven’t conceded a first half goal now in 11
successive games in all competitions, home and away
- we’ve only
managed first-half clean sheets 12 times in succession on 4
previous occasions in our history
- the last time was from March to
August 1986 - a run of 15, in fact!
- the last time we achieved it
within one season was a run of 12 from
April to May 1968!
goal at Spurs would be our
550th away from home
in the Premier
League (in our 519th game)!
- on the other hand, if we fail to
score at Tottenham it will be our 3rd consecutive away game
without a goal
- that hasn’t happened in the League since
another run of 3 goalless away Prem matches in
we beat Spurs it will be our
6th away League victory this season,
our most since 8 in 2013-14
- it would also be
our 2,300th win
at all venues in all competitions in our competitive history!
we lose, however, it would be our
10th away defeat in the Prem this season
- the joint most (with 2017-18 and 2014-15) since 11 in
would also be our 15th League defeat home and away this term
the joint worst (with 2017-18 and 2014-15) since 16 in
win or a defeat would see us end the season with 8 draws in the
- that would be our fewest (along with 2007-08 and
2005-06) since the 7 we registered in
- Andre Marriner will be
refereeing the match
- he hasn’t taken charge of an Everton
fixture since October 2018 when we
won 2-1 at Leicester
- prior to that
though we’d lost 5 on the run with him in the middle, home and
- will Mr Marriner award a penalty?!
- if Spurs score a
penalty it will be the
200th successful spot-kick against us in
all of our away League games ever!
- of the 300 taken so far by our
opponents, 199 have been netted and 101 unsuccessful
Jordan Pickford saves one he will be the first Everton goalkeeper
save 4 penalties in one season
- his current 3 ties him with Tim Howard (2009/10), Neville Southall
(1988/89) and Tommy Fern (1920/21)!
- a penalty save by either goalkeeper would also equal a record
- it would be only the 3rd time that there have been 6 penalty
saves in Everton games in one season!
- the other times were last season and 1904/05
match is of course our last game of the season
- we’ve lost our
last 3 final away games of the season, most recently
3-1 last year at West Ham
- that was Sam Allardyce's last
match as our manager!
- our last win in our final away game of the season was
back in May 2015 - 2-1 at, coincidentally, West Ham
- we’ve won 4
and drawn 1 of our last 5 Sunday matches
- the most recent
defeat was at Goodison in December against, erm,
of those recent Sunday games were, however, at home
- in our last
15 away games played on a Sunday our record is W0 D3 L12, all in
- that's since a 3-0 win at Carlisle in the FA Cup in January
- our last away League win on a Sunday was back in March 2015,
2-1 at Q.P.R.!
- a reminder of some newer sections on the site!
- which Everton substitute has scored the most goals for us?
- which opposition sub has scored the most against us?
- the new 'Goals
by Substitutes' section will let you know!
- Test cricketers have a small number on their shirt or cap
- it shows where they fit in in terms of the historical chronology
of their country
- now you can see what number every Everton player would wear!
- have a look at the 'Everton
Players Numbered Chronologically' section!
- who's managed the most times against Everton?
- who's managed the most clubs against us?!
- well, there's a new 'Opposition
Managers' section that will tell you everything you need to
- the 'Goals
in Most Consecutive Matches' section has been updated!
- it now includes details of which Everton players have scored
in the most successive home & away games too!
- who was the last Everton man to play 50 or more games in a season?
- who has played the most games in one season?!
- the new '50
or More Appearances in a Season' section will tell you!
- on the flip side, which players only ever managed 1 game for
- find out in the new Just
One Appearance section!
- we used 39 different players last season in all competitions
and 15 of them scored a goal
- is that a lot?! how does it compare to other seasons?
- find out in the new 'Number
of Players Used and Goal Scorers - Season-by-Season' section!
- who was the last Everton player to feature in every game in
- have a look at the new Ever
Presents section to find out!
- and how often have we completed League 'doubles' over our opponents
in the past?
- alternatively, how often have we been on the receiving end of
- you can now find out in the new League
Doubles For and Against section
- ever wondered which Everton player has been substituted the
- well, now you can find out - have a look at the new Subbed
Off section for full, fascinating details!
- Ademola Lookman was the last Everton player to score on his
- who else has managed that feat for the club?!
- have a look at the new Scored
on Their Debut section to find out!
- Wayne Rooney has now departed, of course, but who else has had
2 separate spells at the club?!
- the new Two
or More Spells at Everton section will tell you!
- Jordan Pickford looks like he'll be our keeper for some years
- but who else has appeared for us between the sticks in the past?!
- the new Goalkeepers
section has all the details!
- and don't forget there's also a new History
In Short section too!
- you can see at a glance how many times we've finished in each
position in the League
- and where exactly we've been knocked out of the various cup
- have a peek!
Notable Forthcoming Anniversaries and Milestones
Davies needs 1 more start to reach 50 for us in
the Prem - he's currently made 49
needs 1 more appearance to reach 100 for us in the Prem -
he's currently made 96+3
Mason Holgate needs
2 more appearances to reach 50 for us in all comps - he's on 43
+ 5 at the moment
Ademola Lookman also needs
2 more apps to reach for for us in all comps - currently he's
Dates of Birth